Product Manager, Mobile News Experience #107-14
|Salary Range:||$82,254 - $123,381|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||Southern California Public Radio|
|Description:||KPCC Southern California Public Radio’s Product Manager, Mobile News, leads the execution of product strategies supporting KPCC’s mission to build usable, valuable, and sustainable products and services for mobile news consumers. This includes engaging deeply with the KPCC audience, surfacing requirements from all internal stakeholders, facilitating development and implementation of new editorial and business processes and acting as liaison with third-party vendors and internal development teams. It includes creating, testing, documenting, developing, deploying, measuring, and monetizing mobile products throughout the product life cycle. |
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported public radio network that operates across a range of platforms, including FM radio, web, apps, events, and social media. Reaching more than 700,000 listeners every week and a growing digital audience, SCPR is the most listened to public radio news service of any kind in Southern California and serves the diverse communities of Southern California with award winning local news coverage as well as the most NPR (National Public Radio) content available anywhere in the region.
The Product Manager, Mobile News Experience works shoulder-to-shoulder with the Manager, Technology & Design, the Digital Revenue Strategist, and editorial leadership to create optimal mobile news experiences for general audiences as well as members and supporters of KPCC Southern California Public Radio.
We are looking for a unique blend of user experience expert, editorial team player, e-commerce fanatic, technophile, and avid public radio fan. The role will require someone who
• wants to spend hundreds of hours in their first year at KPCC sitting with our audience and learning how they consume news.
• works with editorial leadership to conceive new mobile products that are better suited to our digital audience’s needs.
• combines project management organizational skills with a product manager’s talent for understanding how people engage with news and information in a social, mobile world.
• embraces that KPCC’s content is the product, and is eager to go beyond wireframes and learns through curiosity and experimentation. You’re constantly asking “Why is it this way?” and “What would happen if we changed this?”
• wants to discover and fulfill the real news/information/entertainment needs of our audience.
• thrives in an environment of constant feedback - from users, from the newsroom, from designers and developers
This is a grant funded position.
• Collaboratively define mobile product vision for KPCC in partnership with the editorial, digital, and management team and build online audience and revenue through the successful development and deployment of mobile products.
• Actively participate in all functions of the mobile product lifecycle, including hands-on audience and user research, product definition, requirements gathering, business partnership development, project management, information architecture and design, audience and QA testing, and metrics.
• Get to know KPCC’s customers and what motivates them. Engage directly with users to uncover insights that lead to innovative product ideas. Use a variety of methods: in-person interviews, observing users engaging with KPCC products, remote usability testing, surveys and responding to customer support requests.
• Get to know KPCC’s mobile products, and the systems that support them, inside and out. Have a detailed, nuanced understanding of how KPCC’s products and systems work, and why they work that way.
• Work with the editorial team to define mobile news features and enhancements and improve internal workflows.
• Use a variety of methods (prototyping, concept testing, experiments) to vet potential product features. Promote features that demonstrate a strong potential chance of success and discard bad product ideas before they get built.
• Articulate product features and requirements for the design and development team through the development of collections of user stories that document product features. Document those requirements for KPCC Southern California Public Radio upper management.
• Help to maintain previously launched products, and identify ways to improve or alter those products.
• Help triage bugs on development and live site/app issues.
• Lead usability testing for the organization and use findings to identify refinements to existing products.
• Lead the process of QA/UAT, gathering necessary feedback from stakeholders.
• Orchestrate product roadmaps that deliver meaningful, focused releases to customers while affording maximum flexibility for dev teams and changing priorities
• Assist with the discovery, cultivation, and successful negotiation of new business partnerships and 3rd party relationships in support of KPCC’s mobile strategy.
• Prepare feature-set comparisons and other data to rank and compare third-party vendors we work with now or are considering working with.
• Provide regular reporting on the progress of launched initiatives, including both audience and revenue metrics.
• Ensure that analytics are properly incorporated into product development efforts.
• Develop and execute communications/marketing plans to promote KPCC digital products and services
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in computer science, journalism, media, communications, design and/or equivalent experience.
• 7+ years of industry experience and 5+ years of product management experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Demonstrated ability to plan and execute in-person and remote user research in an agile environment.
• Deep understanding of the digital user experience, incl. user behavior, personalization.
• Good understanding of project management (Agile) and software engineering processes and practices.
• Experience shipping native mobile apps on at least one major platform
• Exceptional taste and a strong sense of aesthetics as they apply to brand perception and emotional dimensions of design.
• Experience with wireframing, rapid prototyping and iterative design process.
• Strong analytical background and experience using tools such as Google Analytics.
• Experience in online advertising, traffic-acquisition (SEO) and online media publishing.
• Broad understanding of internet business models and the ability to perform basic financial projections.
• Strong understanding of technical and system-related component of potential and existing products. Must be able to identify and define technical requirements.
• Excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• A strong interest in KPCC and public radio.
• Fluency in Spanish or in other non-English languages commonly spoken in Southern California
• Experience in working with large-scale, consumer-oriented digital products
• Experience with media sites
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions: Moderate noise level
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.
Get Notified of New Jobs at American Public Media