Production Assistant, Marketplace #108-13
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Salary Range:||$37,207 - $55,811|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||American Public Media|
Marketplace is looking for a Production Assistant who will help the team create unique radio and digital content. We’re looking for someone who wants to push the edge of our listener and digital experience; who is ambitious, imaginative, and proactively creative; and who can manage the deadline pressure of a daily radio and multimedia show.
This is an exciting place to work. Marketplace is one of the largest radio programs in the country, a show known for its irreverent approach to business and economic news. We're an innovative staff, willing to change, and always looking to reinvent our show and become more ambitious. The Marketplace portfolio of programs is constantly growing, including a desk exploring the gap between rich and poor Americans, and partnerships with the BBC, New York Times, among others.
The person we’re looking for will be innately curious; interested in finding compelling and new ways to tell stories both on the radio and on digital platforms; well organized and detail-oriented; willing to experiment; and able to thrive in a quick paced, competitive environment. We encourage risk-taking and failure in our drive to make better content.
The Production Assistant works primarily on Marketplace in a wide range of editorial and broadcast production tasks. The position will fill in for Marketplace’s Director, as needed. The position includes occasional shifts on Marketplace Money and Marketplace Morning Report, filling in for the Associate Producer, Director, Overnight Associate Producer, and Marketplace Money production staff, as needed.
• Book and prep guests quickly and in breaking news situations.
• Contribute creative ways into stories, interviews and other audio and digital content.
• Pitch ideas for radio, digital and multimedia projects and stories.
• Contribute content to Marketplace’s social media and digital platforms.
• Initiate and research story and segment ideas.
• Write news and promotional copy as assigned, including on deadline.
• Work effectively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Contribute to the program’s news calendar and helps plan coverage accordingly.
• Handle administrative tasks including answering email, record keeping, data entry, creating daily rundowns and payment vouchers, and acquiring permissions and licenses
• Stay current with national, business and economic news.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Good, fast writing skills. Knowledge of English grammar, spelling, geography, and world events essential.
• Detail oriented and able to multi-task.
• Interest and experience in social media, digital and multimedia.
• Creative spirit and interest in creating unique content for broadcast and digital.
• Ability to find, book and prep guests quickly and in breaking news situations.
• Ability to book, produce and edit host interviews.
• Good interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet deadlines.
• Working knowledge of audio equipment and digital editing software.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Two or more years production, editorial or related professional experience
• Experience working on digital platforms, including social media and multimedia.
• Broad experience in journalism, including writing, interviewing, and editing.
• Experience in field reporting or field producing.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.