Executive Producer, On Being #101-13
|Location:||Saint Paul, MN|
|Salary Range:||$100,487 - $150,731|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||American Public Media|
The Executive Producer will lead On Being into a new era of growth as a multi-media project and a force in public life. This position will provide the overall vision, strategic planning and business direction for On Being on air and on-line. Towards this end, he or he will assess and leverage entrepreneurial opportunities in and beyond public media. He or she will build new audiences, partnerships, impact, and brand integrity. The Executive Producer will also cultivate new earned income opportunities consistent with APMG's mission and non-profit charter, and bring those opportunities to fruition.
The Executive Producer works collaboratively with Krista Tippett, the program host and executive editor, to deepen and extend the program’s editorial, entrepreneurial and public service vision. She or he is responsible for developing and administering the program’s annual budget; hiring, leading, motivating and empowering staff; and working with marketing, development, underwriting and business development professionals within and outside APM.
The Executive Producer will be a leader within the APM National Division, contributing to and supporting overall national goals, strategies and tactics. She or he may take on division-wide project responsibilities in consultation with the SVP of Content. She or he is able to work collaboratively in a highly–matrixed environment. The Executive Producer demonstrates a continued commitment to people, issues, ideas, and trends related to diversity, whether that be ethnic, religious, gender, age, or geographic, and holds the program staff accountable for reflecting America’s diversity in the project.
• Set ambitious, entrepreneurial direction for the project.
• Develop the overall vision, strategic planning and business direction for On Being on air and on-line.
• Establish long- and short-term Business Development priorities, with input from APMG senior management.
• Create new business and editorial relationships beneficial to the project and the audience.
• Cultivate new earned income opportunities consistent with APMG's mission and non-profit charter Solidify and extend the “On Being” and APM brands.
• Hire and supervise program staff, establishing successful work environment through ensuring staff received coaching, mentorship, performance meetings and on-going feedback. Involve HR on performance issues as needed.
• Lead team toward excellence, in program production, project work, and virtual teams as necessary, with internal and external partners.
• Represent the program (with support from legal counsel) with respect to talent and freelance contracts, rights agreements, funding agreements, and other obligations.
• Foster collaboration across APM to facilitate support for program (i.e. Marketing, Development, Underwriting, Finance, Human Resources, Technology)
• Develop and oversee project budget.
• As needed, contribute to and support overall national goals, strategies and tactics. May take on division-wide project responsibilities in consultation with the SVP of National Content
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in business or related field.
• 8-10 years of proven business / entrepreneurial experience, with marked success growing a project’s reach and importance, including audience/consumer growth and brand recognition.
• Minimum of 5 years of significant (or increasing) people management responsibility
• Experienced financial manager.
• Five or more years experience managing projects using a project management methodology.
• Experience managing contract development and vendor relationships.
• Supervisory/management experience is required - must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach inspire and lead.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Outstanding strategic thinking and planning, decision-making, and communication abilities.
• Ability to represent the program within media industries and the public in an articulate and compelling way.
• Knowledge of emerging forms of digital distribution, audience engagement, and community networking.
• Proven ability to conceive of and launch new products.
• Outstanding track record in forming successful business partnerships
• Proven leadership of people, from recruitment to training and development.
• Experience with and knowledge of the ethics and practices of journalism, as well a commitment to the laws and APM policies affecting its practice.
• Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of public broadcasting, and willingness to commit to the mission of American Public Media in particular.
• Ability to lead and manage change in a fast moving environment.
• Excellent and persuasive writing ability.
• Widely read and broadly educated, well-informed about news, current events, history, philosophy, public policy, the arts, humanities, and entertainment sectors.
Reporting To This Position:
• Senior Editor
• Senior Producer
• Coordinating Producer
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Some travel will be required. 1-2 times a month at the heaviest, including both domestic and international.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.
Get Notified of New Jobs at American Public Media