Intern, Marketplace #500-13
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Employment Type:||Intern - Part Time|
|Business Group:||American Public Media|
|Description:||Application Deadline for Fall Positions: Aug. 15, 2012|
Award-winning Marketplace is public radio's daily magazine of business and economics. Airing weekday mornings and evenings, it boasts the largest audience for any business program in the U.S. on radio, cable, or network television. To check out information about the program, go to: http://marketplace.publicradio.org/.
Marketplace has an excellent internship opportunity for students and recent grads who have an active interest in journalism. Marketplace Interns will be compensated on an hourly basis. Parking or bus pass reimbursed. Resumes will be accepted year-round. Please indicate your availability when applying.
This is a minimum 15 hour a week internship and will work through the 2012 fall semester (September through December). It is paid $10/hr.
In Los Angeles (work with entire Marketplace staff):
• Learn and perform a variety of production, research, and editorial tasks, including cutting tape.
• Write show promos, daily station updates, and other materials.
• Contribute ideas for stories and other editorial material.
• Conduct pre-interviews for on-air guests.
• Database and web projects.
Required Education and Experience:
• Undergraduate students who have completed at least 1-year of journalism coursework or have a demonstrated interest in journalism (i.e. produced work for publication, worked at school newspaper/radio, etc.) or
• Graduate students who are enrolled in a journalism program or
• Those who have recently graduated from a journalism program (within one year).
• Work study programs can be honored as long as the goals of the program fit in with internship duties and requirements.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Must have the ability to write, meet deadlines, and work independently.
• Must have strong organizational and communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products with the ability to learn new software programs.
• Self-starter with an appetite for learning radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• Coursework or experience in radio journalism
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Physical Demands: Required to walk, sit, and stand; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
• Working Conditions: Moderate noise level, occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.