Database Administrator #221-12
|Location:||Saint Paul, MN|
|Salary Range:||$78,924 - $118,387|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||Minnesota Public Radio|
|Description:||Position Summary: |
The Database Administrator (DBA) will analyze, design, implement and maintain MySQL databases in a replicated environment. The DBA will also develop in the SQL Server environment and maintain SQL databases that support off-the-shelf business applications of American Public Media Group (APMG) and its non-profit subsidiaries, including Minnesota Public Radio | American Public Media (MPR|APM), Southern California Public Radio (SCPR), and Classical South Florida (CSF).
This position will perform analysis, relational and dimensional database design, implementation, data migration, backups and restores, database patching and upgrades, problem resolution, performance tuning, documentation and development of SQL, ETL, SSIS, SSRS, interfaces and stored procedures. The successful candidate must have strong knowledge in either (or both) MySQL and SQL Server and a willingness to learn the other.
The DBA will work in a collaborative environment working closely with end-users, infrastructure group, other IT resources, and vendor support organizations.
• Maintain test, stage and production database environments.
• Participate in analysis sessions with the developers and end-users to design relational and dimensional data models.
• Work with the developers to implement and migrate database changes across test, stage and production environments.
• Plan for disk space and transaction throughout to meet the data volume and transaction load.
• Patch, test and upgrade the databases as new versions become available.
• Maintain support relationships with the database vendors.
• Write ETL logic (in SSIS / Stored Procedures) to extract data from the transactional systems into data warehouses.
• Support the developers with SQL expertise.
• Support the end-users in data reporting and data management.
• Implement industry best practices for database backup, restore and disaster recovery.
• Monitor disk space utilization, database health, replication and maximize uptime and throughput.
• Detect, investigate and remedy any abnormal database behavior.
• Review the run time statistics of the databases and performance tune the databases.
• Maintain database security.
• Support the Business Systems team with upgrades, migrations and implementation of new systems.
• Document the data models and database configurations.
• Educate developers, co-workers and end-users as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
• BS in Computer Science, related field or equivalent experience.
• Minimum 8 years of Information Technology (IT) experience.
• Minimum 5 years of database administration experience.
• Minimum 3 years of Relational and dimensional database design experience.
• Minimum 3 years of hands-on MySQL and/or SQL Server DBA experience.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Knowledge of and experience with:
1. MySQL and/or SQL Server databases
2. Databases, database design, stored procedures, SQL, security and database upgrades and migration.
3. Transforming requirements into Logical and physical database designs.
4. Optimizing architecture, designs, database parameters and SQL to achieve maximum system performance.
5. Stored Procedures, Triggers, Transactions, Referential Integrity, Indices, Primary key, Foreign key, Aggregate Operators, Joins, Nested Queries, Query Evaluation, ACID Properties
6. Deploying and optimizing database with Cloud providers
7. Windows and Linux environments
• Demonstrated ability to understand customer data, business requirements, confidentiality requirements, and current IT technical environments.
• Understanding of the principles for appropriate separation of duties around business functions / staff as well as appropriate management of information security from both a business and technology perspective.
• Excellent interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills.
• Strong customer service skills and the ability to build effective professional relationships.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both in written and oral form with managers, IT peers, interdepartmental/divisional clients and contacts, and external organizations and resources.
• Working knowledge of available information technology, products, and industry trends.
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively across multiple departments / departmental groups while maintaining effective communication and accountability. Ability to consistently work well with others within a team environment.
• Must be detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
• Must have the ability to keep up with technology and learn/implement new technologies as required. Must be able to learn on the fly.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
• A working knowledge of Oracle a plus.
• Development experience in web based technologies a plus.
• Experience with data modeling tools like Powerdesigner and Erwin
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
• Some travel may be required
• Must be able to be on call 24/7, with adequate 24 hour transportation
• Physical Demands:
o Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
o Required to move about in the community
o Reach with hands and arms
o Required to work outdoors at times
o Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping
• Working Conditions:
o Moderate noise level
o Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.
Get Notified of New Jobs at American Public Media