Co-Host, Marketplace Morning Report #190-12
|Location:||Los Angeles, CA|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||American Public Media|
|Description:||Come on, admit it. You know you’ve got the chops to speak to millions of people across the nation. You know you’re the newshound, ace interviewer, deadline devourer who is ready for that next big challenge. And you want to be at the heart of the big story: the one that all Americans have a stake in. Here at Marketplace, we’ve got the job opening that will challenge you and satisfy all your news desires. We’re looking for a host for the Marketplace Morning Report. You’ll join Jeremy Hobson and the one of the most dynamic teams in public radio to report the latest business and economic news every hour, interviewing people from small business owners to the titans of industry and politics, telling stories in the sometimes irreverent but always authoritative style that is Marketplace’s signature. |
You’ll join a set of programs that has proven its worth to more than nine-million listeners nationwide. But we’re not looking to rest on those laurels. We're an innovative staff, willing to change, and always looking to reinvent our shows. We want to be even funnier, more conversational, and more ambitious in our reporting. The Marketplace portfolio of programs is constantly growing, with new daily segments like Marketplace Index and Marketplace Tech Report. We just added a 4 to 5-person desk exploring the gap between rich and poor Americans. And we've started partnerships with the BBC, New York Times, and others.
This could easily be the most challenging and satisfying job you'll ever have. And you get to do it in sunny Los Angeles. Should we mention that it was 83 degrees on New Years Day? What could you possibly be doing right now that's more fun?
And now, the details...
|Duties:||The Co-Host of MMR inhabits a defining position at Marketplace. (S)he is one of the two voices of Marketplace during morning drive-time. (S)he initiates ideas, and through writing, production, editing and voicing turns them into great radio. S(he) is responsible for conveying Marketplace’s distinctive sound and approach in host copy, breaking news reports and feature interviews. The Co-host also has other responsibilities associated with hosting a national program reaching nearly six million weekly listeners, including serving as a public representative of Marketplace and APM.|
• In co-host role, is key on-air voice of Marketplace during morning news cycle.
• Researches, writes and delivers live on-the-air, multiple daily newscasts and other program elements.
• In coordination with program staff, helps lead decision making on use of editorial material, including interviews, actualities, and reporter pieces.
• Keeps producers informed of changing and breaking stories.
• Maintains up-to-the-minute currency with local, national and international news, especially as it relates to money, business, finance and the economy.
• Co-hosts and writes Morning Report podcast.
• Actively participates in all Marketplace digital activities.
• Suggests programming ideas and prepares for interviews. Proposes and conducts interviews.
• Participates in any other production necessary for the program.
• Serves as a public representative of the program regionally and nationally.
• Makes personal appearances for Marketplace-APM stations as assigned.
• Performs other duties as assigned or requested, including serving as back-up host for other Marketplace programs.
• Hours: Overnight hours two-thirds of the time, day shift the other third.
|Qualifications:||Required Education and Experience|
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated professional delivery style of national network quality, and in synch with Marketplace sound.
• At least five years experience in the role of on-air talent on radio and/or television.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Capable of delivering a creative and diverse program on a daily basis.
• Capable of handling tight deadlines with calm.
• Able to produce national-quality programming with sound, on deadline.
• Demonstrated ability to write, edit, produce and deliver live and pre-taped content at a national level.
• Knowledge of and nationally respected experience in broadcast journalism, including writing, editing and interviewing.
• Proven critical judgment skills and ability to make snap decisions regarding credibility, personality and value of material to program.
• Ability to represent Marketplace in national and station promotion, including public speaking.
• Leadership skills and ability to motivate staff and develop/contribute to high performing teams.
• Ability to perform in a consistently clear, interesting, authoritative, friendly and relaxed manner. Possessing a pleasant, engaging voice, superior ear and sense of sound, sense of humor and style.
• Working knowledge of computers and broadcasting equipment including digital audio editing.
• Interest in and knowledge of a broad range of subjects and people; a natural sense of curiosity about the world.
• Ability to work with others, under frequently stressful conditions, in a goal oriented, “team” environment.
• Ability to successfully meet deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities under extreme pressure on a consistent basis.
• Wide network of national contacts and ability to secure interviews with them.
• Knowledge of public radio system including its networks, stations, key players and audience composition; a listener of public radio.
Preferred Skills and Experience
• Previous hosting experience.
• National name recognition
• Digital experience
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.