Managing Editor, Digital #105-12
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Business Group:||Southern California Public Radio|
|Description:||Position Summary: |
The Managing Editor, Digital is responsible for the day-to-day management of Southern California Public Radio’s web, mobile and social platforms. The Managing Editor, Digital, works with two counterparts: Managing Editor, Newsgathering, and Managing Producer, News and Shows to ensure seamless integration and efficient, productive collaboration among all content platforms. S/he also supervises the web and mobile production team to ensure stories are rapidly and accurately updated throughout the day. With audience-building as an imperative, the Managing Editor Digital will stay current with trends, metrics and competitors. This position is part of the newsroom’s senior leadership team, reporting to the executive editor. This position also has a dotted-line reporting relationship with SCPR’s Digital Director to align the newsroom’s web/mobile/social strategies and tactics with the goals and priorities of the entire organization.
• Direct and oversee coverage of daily news, ongoing enterprise and interactive presentations and production of longer-term projects on digital platforms
• Supervise the work of digital editors and web producers
• Place SCPR at the forefront of public affairs journalism for web and mobile by encouraging experimentation and developing excellence in digital approaches
• Embrace and expand SCPR’s two-way connection with audiences through online, social media, Public Insight Network and other tools for interaction
• Increase the transparency and accessibility of SCPR journalism by connecting digital practices with public radio’s core relationship with listeners and audiences.
• Hire and lead staff by;
1. Creating a culture of constructive performance coaching and regular, on-going feedback.
2. Encouraging creativity, invention and productivity.
3. Embracing diversity in staff make-up.
4. Creating and encouraging individualized development opportunities and plans for staff.
• Develop newsroom strategies and day-to-day tactics for managing workflow for web, mobile and social platforms..
• In partnership with the Managing Editor/Newsgathering and the Managing Producer, coordinate work by reporters and public affairs programs for web, mobile and social channels
• Edit and write news copy for digital platforms as needed.
• Establish and ensure adherence to SCPR’s editorial standards on all digital platforms
• Track best practices and emerging technologies that might be adopted by SCPR’s newsroom.
• Collaborate with other members of the SCPR digital team to integrate appropriate tools and applications.
• Provide and/or coordinate digital training for SCPR’s newsroom
• Advocate for experimentation on multiple platforms by all SCPR journalists.
• Monitor traffic statistics, and develop tactics and strategies for increasing measurable audience service.
• Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
• At least seven years experience reporting and editing daily in broadcast, print or digital journalism in pressure-driven, fast-paced news organization.
• Supervisory/management experience is required - must demonstrate an ability to foster high standards and an ability to coach, inspire and lead.
• Experience managing organizational change and growing a thriving digital news operation in a major news market
• Senior digital management experience
• Experience/accomplishment in multimedia reporting.
• Accomplishment in growing audience.
• Experience with a variety of web publishing platforms.
• Experience developing and implementing online content plans.
• Experience in planning and managing ambitious web projects in a fast-paced news environment, coordinating with the efforts of broadcast staff and developers, and tracking long-term project timelines and deliverables while maintaining an ambitious daily update cycle.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Mastery of multimedia features, including text, audio, video and still images, either within online sites or for wireless media and downloadable audio, video or audio-visual broadcasts.
• Mastery of standard web production tools.
• Strong editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy, fairness and balance.
• Ability to foster high standards and encourage creativity.
• Ability to coach, inspire and lead.
• Ability to work productively and in a collaborative manner in an environment where news is constantly changing and being updated.
• Ability to prioritize work and make resource decisions accordingly.
• Excellent coaching, communication and teamwork skills.
• Commitment to public service journalism
• Familiarity with and appreciation of public radio
• Knowledge of the law and its application to a news service on the Internet
• Ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, carrying out responsibilities in accordance with SCPR’s mission, values and professional standards
• Ability to communicate mission/vision internally and externally
• Familiarity with Southern California civic and cultural institutions and LA news ecosystem a big plus
• Supervisory skills and ability to recruit, coach and develop talent
• Leadership and personnel skills and ability to inspire and lead the staff.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.